Cleona Borough History

Important dates in Cleona Borough History

1890s – First homes erected.

1902 – Fire Company established as the “Cooperative Fire Company of Cleona.”

1912 – Cleona Elementary School built.

1922 – Center Street railroad built.

1929 – Cleona Borough is incorporated.

1938 – Five acres of land is purchased for a playground on the north side.

1946 – Borough Council appoints “special officers” to police the Borough streets.

1953 – Borough Council buys the old Cleona Elementary School on Penn Avenue

1953 – The zoning ordinance is adopted

1956 – The Police Department is organized.

1965 – Cleona playground moved to South Garfield Street.

1968 – Lebanon Co. Planning began to enforce Borough zoning laws & prepare plans.

1971 – Recycling program began.

1977 – Construction of “Cleona Acres” devel., between S. Garfield St. and Dairy Road.

1987 – Council established the Cleona Borough Sewer Authority.

1987 – Construction began on Walnut Mill Development on South Center Street

1996 – Borough moves into remodeled fire hall.

2004 – North Center Street Bridge closed for 1 year while being replaced.